If gum disease is new to you, then you might not know much about it at all. You probably have a good understanding that it’s bad for your smile and your oral health in general but that doesn’t translate into extensive knowledge on the topic. To help ensure you’re educated regarding what to do if you think this issue is affecting you, how to detect it, and what needs to happen to protect your gums, we suggest you begin with a quiz. It will highlight any knowledge you already have, while filling in the details.
Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: The best way to figure out if you are suffering from gum disease is to look at your gums in the mirror at home.
- True or False: Even if gum problems go unchecked for quite a while, it’s not something to feel overly concerned about. We can always reverse any sort of damage or progression.
- True or False: There’s nothing you can do to avoid periodontal problems. They just happen to some people but not to others.
- False. If you notice a symptom, it is absolutely important that you come in to see us. However, the best way to detect it immediately is to keep up with your prevention at our practice. Consistent, twice-annual checkups are comprehensive. If gum changes are occurring, we will see them.
- False. We can treat and reverse gum disease in its infancy (this is called gingivitis). However, in a progressed state, it may no longer be reversible but something that will require long-term control.
- False. You can brush twice daily, floss daily, visit us for cleanings, and visit us for checkups. Altogether, this is your formula for effective prevention.