Is there something frustrating to you about dealing with snoring without understanding why it’s happening, what you can do about it, and whether it’s a serious problem or just a minor annoyance? We understand! What you might not realize is that we see patients all the time who are dealing with the same sort of challenge. To help you make sense of this sleep interruption, we encourage you to take a quick quiz and to get in contact with us if you think you’re ready for treatment.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: Snoring is the sound that occurs when your nasal membranes make noises as the result of congestion.
- True or False: Snoring is never a sign of anything more serious, such as a sleep disorder. It’s simply a nuisance.
- True or False: Unless you choose to visit an ear nose and throat doctor to discuss surgical options, there’s not really anything you can do to combat snoring. It’s something you will need to learn to live with.
- False. Actually, snoring is the sound that comes out of your mouth when your throat tissues relax. As they become too relaxed, their contact with each other yields vibrations. The noise associated with the vibrating tissues is your snore.
- False. While it might not be related to a serious problem, your tendency to snore loudly and consistently may suggest you have sleep apnea (a problem that can lead to serious health problems and that we can prevent).
- False. You have options outside of surgery! You may speak with us about oral appliance therapy to relieve snoring. We can also offer lifestyle suggestions to promote open airways.