Win Wisdom With This Fluoride Quiz
Among the various conditions that one can experience in their mouth, tooth decay remains one of the most prevalent. Alongside gum disease, tooth decay is preventable with at-home dental care, in-office checkups and cleanings, and an awareness of diet. If you didn’t already know, the development of dental caries (cavities) in your teeth is a slow, ongoing process. It correlates directly with the overall health and cleanliness of your mouth. To prevent tooth decay with brushing, flossing, and mouthwash, Dr. Smith suggests fluoride as an addition to your preventive dentistry
1. What Is Fluoride?
B. A blue, red, or white paste that can be used to brush teeth
C. An ion derivative of the fluorine element
D. All of the above
C. None of the above
D. A and B
3. Where Can Fluoride Be Found?
A. In various dental hygiene products
B. Under the sink next to the cleaning products
C. Possibly in your community water supply
D. A and C
4. What Is Fluoridation?
A. The process when fluorine changes from gas to liquid
B. When people retire to Florida
C. The incorporation of fluoride in your community water supply
D. B and C
5. What Are The Benefits Of Fluoride Use?
A. Reduce dental decay
B. Remineralize your teeth enamel
C. Strengthens your teeth’s defense against decay
D. All of the above
The Answer Key
- C, Fluoride is an ion derivative of the fluorine element. As a gas, fluorine never exists on its own, but only as a compound with other elements. It’s abundant in the rock and soil of the earth’s crust
- D, Whether ingested orally (systemic prevention) or applied directly to your teeth (topical prevention), fluoride helps reduce the chance of tooth decay.
- D, In most dental products, fluoride is an ingredient, and your community water supply may incorporate fluoridation in the water. The two combine systemic and topical fluoride treatment to defend against dental decay
- C, The process of incorporating flurried into a community water supply. In most cases, fluoridation involves 0.7 to 1.2 parts per million included in the water. For more information on whether or not your water supply contains fluoride, call your local water district supply.
- D, The use of fluoride is continuously proven by research that it reduces and prevents the presence of tooth decay in adults and appropriately aged children.
About Dr. Quinn Smith
Dr. Quinn Smith is a well-respected and highly experienced general, cosmetic, restorative, and implant dentist in Grand Prairie, TX. He takes a patient-first approach that starts from the moment patients enter our Pecan Tree Dental office, and he offers a three-year guarantee on all dental work that he performs. Whether you’re a new or returning patient, you can schedule a consultation or your next appointment with Dr. Smith by contacting us at (972) 262-5111.