Education is a major part of the early years of dental care. By instructing your child properly, you can set him or her up for a lifetime of good oral health. To help you in this endeavor, your Grand Prairie dentist
, Dr. Quinn Smith, has put together the following quiz. Take it with your son or daughter and see how much dental knowledge you have passed on already.
Take the Quiz
1. True or False: Even though they are not permanent, baby teeth are very important.
2. How many teeth do adults have? A) 30, B) 32, C) 34, D) 36
3. True or False: Consuming too much sugar will not affect your teeth.
Check Your Answers
1. True. Baby teeth are very important because they perform all of the functions of adult teeth. Without these teeth, digestion would be more difficult during childhood years because food would not be broken down well enough to allow for the efficient extraction of nutrients. Baby teeth also perform the important task of preserving space for adult teeth. If a baby tooth is lost early because of tooth decay or another reason, the nearby teeth may grow into the vacated area, causing orthodontic problems.
2. B. Adults typically have 32 teeth, four of which are wisdom teeth.
3. False. Consuming too much sugar can contribute to tooth decay by feeding harmful bacteria in the mouth. When these bacteria consume sugar, they give off an acid byproduct that can rob teeth of their enamel, weakening them until a cavity develops.
4. True. You should brush 2-3 times per day for between two and three minutes. You should also floss at least once a day.
Schedule a Visit with Your Grand Prairie Children’s Dentist
When was the last time your child had a dental cleaning
? If it was more than six months ago, it is time for another one. Contact our 75052 dental office today to schedule an appointment with your Grand Prairie children’s dentist
, Dr. Smith, by calling 972-262-5111. We welcome patients from Grand Prairie, Arlington, South Dallas, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and surrounding communities.