A large portion of general dentistry focuses on keeping teeth healthy and preventing tooth decay and gum disease. However, without proper homecare to protect teeth between dental visits, teeth will not remain healthy. Therefore, your Grand Prairie dentist, Dr. Quinn Smith, has created this quiz so that you can put your knowledge of homecare to the test.
Take the Quiz
1. True or False: You should brush your teeth as often as you are able.
2. True or False: It is best to focus your attention on the top (biting) surface of teeth because that is where they come into contact with food.
3. True or False: Brushing too forcefully can damage your teeth.
Check Your Answers
1. False. You should brush teeth two or three times per day. If you brush more often than that, you may begin to expose your teeth to excessive abrasion, causing their enamel to wear away. With less enamel, teeth are more vulnerable to attack from bacteria, making tooth decay more likely.
2. False. When brushing, you should make a concerted effort to clean all available surfaces of every tooth. Thus, be sure that you clean, the front, back, and top surfaces, and also take care to clean teeth near the gum line by angling your bristles toward it. By removing bacteria in this area, you can help prevent gum disease.
3. True. Brushing teeth with too much force can strip them of their enamel. It can also damage the gums, irritating them and making them bleed. Therefore, when you brush, it is better to be thorough than to be forceful. Brush gently with some firmness, but don’t inflict damage on your mouth.
General Dentistry from Your Grand Prairie Dentist
Are you in need of a dental cleaning? Your Grand Prairie dentist, Dr. Smith, provides general dentistry services in addition to cosmetic and restorative services. If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact our 75052 dental office today by calling 972-262-5111. We welcome patients from Grand Prairie, Arlington, South Dallas, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and surrounding communities.